Artist of the Week : Ali Cavanaugh

Back when I was attending Savannah College of Art and Design, a magazine called Art Calender (http://artcalendar.com/home.asp) visited one of my classes. This magazine has taught me alot about many independent artists and tips to make it as an artist yourself. The featured artist in my first magazine was Ali Cavanaugh. What caught my eye was the bright, simple colors and the use of the white negative space. The best description she can give her work is a type of fresco. In her bio on her website (http://www.alicavanaugh.com/) she describes her work as, 

"Cavanaugh developed a process best described as neo fresco secco, where she applies watercolor to plaster panels; her figures often are accentuated by stark white negative spaces. Fascinated by the dichotomy of the seen and unseen in the human condition…body and soul…Cavanaugh’s art brings to light the complexity within contemplation. Her signature poetic titles are part of this engaging discourse."






I have never tried this medium before but the colors are amazing and vibrant. I have been wanting to try it since I have first read about it, but I have never had any inspiration that would be best suited for this style. I love how she gets the detail in human form. And it seems that she loves stripes and socks on hands because it is such a repeating theme.
Category: 0 comments

0 comments: