Skeletal Assemblage

Well in the September/October 2010 of Cloth Paper Scissors I saw these amazing skeletal assemblages. Last year for some reason I never saw small skeletal heads needed to do it, so I never did this last year. This year I see them everywhere and grabbed several bags of them.

Well I went to Goodwill looking for an old wedding topper or some other doll that had the same proportions of the skeletal heads. Well good ole Barbie was there for me. Barbie did have her head when I bought her, but I got so excited I ripped it off before I thought about pictures.



I hot glue the head on. I would also suggest using E-6000, I just didn't have any at the time.


Sorry there are no censor bars. Barbie doesn't have clothes.


I then attach her to a base with hot glue, a random finished piece of wood I found also at Goodwill.


I took left over scarps of foam board from the "BOO" letter to make tombstones. And hot glued them as well to the wood.


I wanted the skeleton to appear coming out of the ground in a graveyard. So I had to build up a dirt mound on her and also in front of the other tombstones. I used wall plaster/caulk to do this. I also applied it to the skeleton and tombstones to give them a rougher texture.


Next is painting once you let it dry. I had to wait a few days since the wall plaster was so think. I wanted to paint the under layers and build up the paint until I was happy with the look.




I am so happy with the finished piece. Best part is you can make so many versions of this project. Each doll you find will inspire something different.


8 comments:

Machele O'Dufaigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Machele O'Dufaigh said...

This is a piece of Halloween awesomeness! So creative and your painting is perfect. Drat! I wish I hadn't given all my barbies away.

Here is another Barbie alteration I thought you might like:
http://wich-crafts.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

manomij said...

Aaah I loved watching this develop from barbie to haunted. It so scary!!!

Tracey FK said...

This is the perfect revenge for a barbie hater... you have made my day and my daughter loves it too!!! Great to share the process with her and it kind of makes me wish we did Halloween here in Australia so I could make evil cemetery barbie!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Such an interesting piece! I love how it turned out in the end, although the process was interesting too!

Thanks for linking this up to my Monster Mash Bash!!

Joni Nickrent said...

Very Ghoul! Love how you shared the process! POP ART MINIS

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

What a creative way to use that Barbie! So spooky & perfect for October. :)

That Crazy Ajumma said...

Now, this is what I call creative!
I love it!
Great job, thanks for sharing it!

ha.. my verification word is caskin. First glance I thought it said casket..lol.