Well in the September/October 2010 of Cloth Paper Scissors I saw these amazing skeletal assemblages. Last year for some reason I never saw small skeletal heads needed to do it, so I never did this last year. This year I see them everywhere and grabbed several bags of them.
Well I went to Goodwill looking for an old wedding topper or some other doll that had the same proportions of the skeletal heads. Well good ole Barbie was there for me. Barbie did have her head when I bought her, but I got so excited I ripped it off before I thought about pictures.
I hot glue the head on. I would also suggest using E-6000, I just didn't have any at the time.
Sorry there are no censor bars. Barbie doesn't have clothes.
I then attach her to a base with hot glue, a random finished piece of wood I found also at Goodwill.
I took left over scarps of foam board from the "BOO" letter to make tombstones. And hot glued them as well to the wood.
I wanted the skeleton to appear coming out of the ground in a graveyard. So I had to build up a dirt mound on her and also in front of the other tombstones. I used wall plaster/caulk to do this. I also applied it to the skeleton and tombstones to give them a rougher texture.
Next is painting once you let it dry. I had to wait a few days since the wall plaster was so think. I wanted to paint the under layers and build up the paint until I was happy with the look.
I am so happy with the finished piece. Best part is you can make so many versions of this project. Each doll you find will inspire something different.